Pet ServicesList of veterinarians, boarding, grooming, pet food, supplies and other pet services. Also view the Volunteer & Community category to find organizations that assist with animal rescue, spay and neuter clinics, etc. . .
Jaltemba Equine Education Project (J.E.E.P.) was established in December 2012 by George & Loretta Leavitt and Donna Brownfield to help large animals like horses, donkeys and mules who are ill, malnourished or being mistreated in Jaltemba Bay, Nayarit, Mexico. George’s love of horses and his love of Mexico have been combined for over 35 years, and forming a large animal group has always been his dream.
The project began when Donna was horseback riding in the hills above the small fishing village of La Peñita. She came across an Appaloosa, now known as "Chance," who led her to another six horses who were literally starving to death. Eight others in their herd had already died, including Chance’s mother, whose body was still sheltering his younger sibling. George and other volunteers immediately started raising necessary funds and working with the owners to surrender these unwanted animals.
All seven horses were successfully rescued and given emergency medical care and a special diet. Unfortunately Chance, the strong and gentle leader did not survive. Five days after the rescue, he passed quietly with George and Loretta by his side. He was buried on a donated piece of property in La Peñita. This 3-acre site is currently being developed into the Hilltop Refugio, a permanent place for rescued equines.
Once the refuge is completed, we can begin to break in these horses and use them as part of our educational program for adults and children in the community. The general public will then be able to visit the site and help care for these animals.
The Jaltemba Equine Education Project (J.E.E.P.) operates in partnership with Hilltop Refugio.
Our goals are to:
- Provide a safe refuge for rescued animals;
- Offer critical medical attention when needed;
- Teach equine owners how to better care for their animals;
- Protect and promote the heritage of horses in our area;
- Educate the community about the value of animals in our lives;
- Create opportunities for children to spend quality time with equines and other animals;
- Introduce animal touch, interaction and therapy to local school children, especially those with special needs.
About J.E.E.P. Founders
George and Loretta Leavitt have lived in La Peñita de Jaltemba for 35 years. George has been a member of the Federación Mexicana de Charrería, A.C. for over 30 years and has built strong relationships with farmers and ranchers via community horse rides, and charro and rodeo events.
Donna Brownfield has been involved with horses for over 50 years. She has been a student of natural horsemanship for 20 years and is currently involved in teaching equine communication techniques to students. Donna and her husband, Jerry, spend winter months in La Peñita and the rest of the year in Eagle Point, Oregon.Needs & Donations:
- Funds are needed to secure the Hilltop Refugio, such as fence posts, fencing and materials to finish building dog and cat kennels.
- Contributions of horse feed, dog and cat food, Frontline for dogs and cats, tack, medicine, medical supplies, volunteer time, money and other resources are always needed. Note: If you can't bring these donations to the refuge, you can pay for them and we will gladly pick them up.
- Bags of feed may be purchased at:
La Casa del Ganadero (Dr. Eladio Arreola Tello), Calle Esteban Baca Calderon #3, La Peñita
Veterinaria "Ventura", Calle Oceano Pacifico #15, La Peñita
School supplies for our special needs J.E.E.P. children such as notebooks, pencils, erasers, crayons, coloring books, colored construction paper, children's backpacks, etc. With the medications required for many of these children, school supplies are often hard to purchase. Every bit helps so much.
Donations can be made in person (see map tab), bank deposit or via PayPal.
1) Make a One-Time Gift:
Your donation will help J.E.E.P. buy food, shelter, medication and the equipment necessary to care for our rescue horses, dogs and cats. Remember, donations of tack and gear, both new and used are always needed and much appreciated.
2) Sponsor a Rescue Horse:
When you sponsor a horse, your monthly donation goes towards the cost of feed, trimming hooves, shoeing and ongoing medical care for one of our rescue horses for the period you indicate.
Select your option below before clicking the Subscribe button.
CONTACT INFORMATIONOwner/Manager: George and Loretta LeavittPhone: (327) 274-3263“VIEW THIS EXCITING NEW DRONE VIDEO OF YOUR FAVORITE RESCUE OPERATION – J.E.E.P.” Click Here Jaltemba Equine Education Project (J.E.E.P.) was established in December 2012 by George & Loretta Leavitt and Donna Brownfield to help large animals like horses, donkeys and mules who are ill, malnourished or being mistreated in Jaltemba Bay, Nayarit, Mexico. Since then, Hilltop Refugio, our 3-acre refuge, Read more...
- Surgeries and Spaying/Neutering
- International Travel Health Certificates
- Full Grooming Services
Products We Carry
- Dog and Cat Food – We carry a variety of dog and cat food including Royal Canin, Science Diet, Prescription Diet and other commercials brands, both dry and canned. If we don't have the brand you are looking for, we will gladly special order it for you.
- Flea, Tick and Heartworm Medication – Frontline Plus, Revolution, Advantix Multi and Heartgard/Cardomec
- Other Medications including hard-to-find products for heart murmurs in older dogs
- Grooming Tools – Shampoo, brushes, clippers, etc.
- Accessories – We sell collars, leashes, clothing, toys, kennels and carrying bags.
CONTACT INFORMATIONOwner/Manager: Dr. Aldo BarbaPhone: (327) 107-0953Cell: (322) 148-9999Clinica Veterinaria “Barba” has been providing veterinary care in the Jaltemba Bay area since 2011. We specialize in small animals, with a focus on dogs and cats. We work closely with Jaltemba Bay Animal Rescue (JBAR) to provide discount prices on sterilization and vaccinations for street and rescue animals. English spoken. We always strive to provide the best quality service to Read more...