The Cancer de Mama clinic will be held this year in La Peñita on February 1-3, 2013. Since inception in 1996 the clinic has grown to having helped over 450 women of Mexico last year alone. Women from the State of Nayarit and parts of Jalisco fighting the disease of breast cancer are invited to attend this free clinic. While needs are endless, no woman has ever been turned away due to the help of over 100 devoted volunteers.
The Cancer de Mama clinic provides a sense of hope and encouragement along with compassionate care. The following items are offered for those in need: bras, prosthesis (individually fit), Lymphedema counseling (some compression garments are available), wigs, hats, scarves, makeup, a warm meal, and shopping at the “free” store. There is some counseling and guidance offered for physical therapy. The clinic also helps to fund medical expenses.
We are always in need of donations. If you are traveling to the La Peñita area, please consider bringing some of the following to help the women of Mexico.
Our Wish List for Donations
- Gently used Bras (please make sure bras are clean, and have NO underwire, NO foam cups, NO demi cups)
- Gently used Prosthetic Bras
- Gently used Prosthetic Forms
- Knitted or Crocheted Tit Bits (patterns available here – see information for volunteers)
The “Wig Shack”
The “Wig Shack” is looking for donations of wigs, hats, pretty scarves, lipstick, blush, mascara, foundation, etc.
The FREE Store
Please make sure your donations are washed and clean for the Free Store.
- Warm clothes
- Any clean, gently used clothes
- Light colored cotton blend yarns
- Soft knitting materials (used for tit bit prosthesis)
- Knit stretch fabric in white, off white & black
- Stretch lace 4″ wide, any color
- Black and white thread, large spools
- Sewing pins
- Sundries used in sewing projects
Makeup for the Look Good, Feel Great Makeovers
- Good quality lip sticks
- Any new makeup
- Sponges/application products
For more information, visit the Cancer de Mama community webpage.
If you would like to make a cash donation, please donate through the Jaltemba Foundation.
This story was submitted by one of our readers. If you want to join in the fun and share your stories and photos of Jaltemba Bay, Mexico, please email them to Tosia@JaltembaBayLife.com